In what may sound like an unusual story lead – Billboard reports that it was a battle between Gleeks and Twighlighters’ Team Jacob and Team Edward for the top slot on the Billboard 200 this week. A TV show and a movie? Yep!
In the end, the Gleeks won out, as the latest soundtrack Journey to Regionals won with debut numbers at 152,000 according to Nielsen SoundScan, while the Eclipse soundtrack came in at a close No. 2 after moving 144,000 units.
The new Glee soundtrack is the fifth album release since the TV series launched just one year ago on FOX. Billboard reports that it is the third set from the show to hit No. 1 – previous No. 1s include The Power of Madonna EP and Glee The Music: Volume 3 – Showstoppers.
However, despite the battle between soundtracks this week, its likely the new kid on the block – Drake – will take the top slot this next week on the Billboard 200, with the June 15 release of his debut album Thank Me Later which is expected to sell anywhere upwards of 450,000 units in its first charting week which ends June 20. He stands a chance to record the biggest sales week of the year for a single album, which Billboard reports is currently being held by Sade’s Soldier of Love at 502,000.
The rest of the Billboard 200 includes:
- At No. 3, Bionic, Christina Aguilera, 110,000
- At No. 4, To The Sea, Jack Johnson, 89,000
- At No. 5, Good Affiliated, Plies, 56,000
- At No. 6, My World 2.0, Justin Bieber, 49,000
- At No. 7, Glee The Music: Volume 3 – Showstoppers, 40,000
- At No. 8, Need You Now, Lady Antebellum, 39,000
- At No. 9, Up On The Ridge, Dierks Bentley, 38,000
- At No. 10, Sweet and Wild, Jewel, 31,000
Did you make up any of the numbers of album purchases this week? If so, which did you drop your hard-earned cash on?